The Children’s Trust 2013 Family Expo, will host its seventh annual, FREE, all-day festival to provide parents with direct access to educational, health and social services, in a fun and festive atmosphere on Saturday, August 24th, 2013 from 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Already the largest free event of its kind in our community, with record crowds exceeding 20,000 in previous years, more than 250 displays are featured in two exhibit halls showcasing information about education, after-school programs, nutrition, safety, programs for children with special needs, Pre-K registration, KidCare application support, and much more. Each hall also offers two stages packed with entertainment and theatrical presentations of beloved children’s stories, face painting, balloon sculptures, stilt walkers, magicians, and character greetings, including Nickelodeon’s Dora and Diego, Ronald McDonald and Curious George, just to name a few. Free backpacks and composition books will be distributed while supplies last. Admission, parking, all activities and entertainment are free. Food is available for purchase.
The Children’s Trust’s Family Expo will take place at the Miami-Dade County Fair & Exposition, Arnold Hall and Fuchs Pavilion, located at 10901 Coral Way (SW 24 Street), Miami, FL 33165. For the first time ever, there will be two entrances to the event, one through Coral Way and 112th Ave. in front of the Main Gates and one through Gate #2 on 109th Ave. & Coral Way. Parking is FREE!
Additional Event Highlights:
- Back-to-School Boulevard – Nearly two dozen departments from Miami-Dade County Public Schools will be represented to help children and parents make the most of the next academic school year.
- Five A Day, the Baptist Health Way - A fresh produce giveaway of five fresh fruits and vegetables, along with healthy family recipes presented by Baptist Health. A dietician will answer questions and inform families of easy ways to incorporate fruits and veggies into their daily diet.
- Read to Learn Book Fair- Presented by the Miami-Dade Family Learning Partnership, this area will feature steeply discounted children’s books and author book signings, as well as enrollment in The Read to Learn Book Club. Read to Learn Stage – Storytelling and performances of well-known children’s stories.
- Expo Greenhouse - Led by teachers from The Education Fund’s “Plant a Thousand Gardens” Nutrition Initiative, edible gardening workshops will teach children how to grow their very own vegetable or herb gardens. Each participant takes home a seedling.
- Wacky Wild Science Area – An interactive, creepy-crawly bug adventure.
- Family Pet Corner - Advice on how to incorporate pets into your family and helpful training tips.
- Chess Corner – Chess tournaments by Stormont Kings.
- Indoor Sports Fun Zone -T-ball and speed pitching practice presented by the Miami Marlins, as well as tennis, fencing, and martial arts demonstrations.
- Outdoor Recreation Area - Rock climbing walls and elaborate bounce house.
Sponsors of The Children’s Trust 2013 Family Expo include: Baptist Health South Florida, Target, Infinity Insurance, Houghton Mifflin, Miami Herald, and El Nuevo Herald.
For more information about the Children’s Trust Family Expo, visit www.thechildrenstrust.org/events-parents or call 211 The Children’s Trust Helpline. The Children’s Trust is a dedicated source of revenue established by voter referendum to improve the lives of children and families in Miami-Dade County by making strategic investments in their future. Because all children are our children.