The 37th Annual Miami International Regatta will return to the Miami Marine Stadium Basin on Sunday, Mar. 7. This year, the regatta will be bigger and better than ever.
More than 2,500 participants and spectators from the United States and South America are expected. In addition to the many teams that eagerly return to Miami every year, organizers are expecting to welcome:
• Holy Spirit from Absecon, NJ. They are bringing their top ranked (third in the U.S.) men and women’s Varsity 8 teams.
• Winter Park. This is Florida’s No. 1 team.
• Malvern Prep, Philadelphia, PA. Top three men’s quad in the U.S.
• Union Boat Club, Boston, MA. Master’s team coached by Michelle Guerette, a U.S. Olympic Silver
Medal recipient in the Beijing games.
• Members from the U.S. Olympic National team.
• Teams from Brazil, Peru, and Sweden. The Miami Rowing Club now has the largest youth program in the Southeast United States with more than 130 young men and women. Founded in 1973 by a group of dedicated enthusiasts, the Miami Rowing & Watersports Center is located on Virginia Key adjacent to the historic Miami Marine Stadium. From the boathouse or on the water, rowers enjoy a breathtaking vista of the City of Miami skyline, day or night.
The basin provides two parallel 1,500- meter, seven-lane courses that can be enjoyed year round. On race day, there will be more than 50 events with over 700 rowers competing in eight-oared shells, fours, quads, doubles and singles.
Spectators are invited to enjoy the sunshine, azure waters of the great Miami Marine Stadium venue, a magnificent view of a Miami skyline, and an exciting day of fast-paced rowing races. There will be a race village to enhance spectator enjoyment with rowing equipment displays, local business information booths, international food from area restaurants, and friendly crowds.
Miami Marine Stadium is located on Virginia Key along Rickenbacker Causeway. Races will be from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. Admission is free, but there is a $10 parking charge.
Short URL: http://www.communitynewspapers.com/?p=542
Comments are closed